And we got 101 fantastic responses from the passionate community of Q500 drone pilots!
The answers helped us putting together the most comprehensive accessory guide around.
Yuneec is a well-respected drone brand that is growing popularity, and for good reasons. The Q500 series provide excellent quadcopters, reliable machine and innovative features.
In this article we’ll share with you the list of most popular, most wanted and most dreamed accessories for your current or future Yuneec Q500 quadcopter, together with the results of the survey… for the statistics.
This article is divided in parts:
The Q500 comes in three flavors.
The latest and greatest, with 4K camera and steadygrip.
Improved version of the original model, new camera CG02+ with improved lens.
The original, that started shipping back in December 2014.
Q. How likely do you buy props?
|Not at all||4||4%|
The most wanted accessory for the Q500 are the propellers. The two sets of props already included in the package clearly aren’t enough, but if you consider how easy is to bent one of them it’s no surprise that sooner than later you’ll need some spare blades.
Yuneec sells them divided in set A (clockwise) and set B (counter-clockwise), depending on the mounting position.
“I bought Props by Yuneec. Very satisfied” – a not too chatty respondent.
Q. How likely do you buy extra batteries?
|Not at all||4||4%|
Recommended batteries, get a pack of two:
34.7% of respondents will absolutely buy spare batteries. 35.6%, only most lilely!
Q. How likely do you buy an extra charger?
|Not at all||39||38.6%|
Recommended extra charger:
“Dynamite sport quattro charger. Very pleased. Seems to take just a little longer to charge than the Duo, but seems more precise and thorough for charging each cell.” – an happy owner.
Travel Case / Backpack
Q. How likely do you buy a travel case/backpack?
|Not at all||45||44.6%|
We should have asked how many folks bought their Q500 with the aluminium case included, for $100 extra that’s a real bargain.
Transporting a quadcopter like the Q500 without a proper box it’s simply unthinkable for me.
Recommended travel solution:
“Condition 1 case, works great and carries everything!” – an happy customer.
Q. How likely do you buy a FPV system?
|Not at all||39||38.6%|
Recommended FPV system:
“Great product. 4,000 ft. Added boosters and obtained 7,900.” – A reviewer
Q. How likely do you buy a car charger?
|Not at all||61||60.4%|
Q500 users aren’t much into cars. Or at least, car chargers. Surely a regular charger is faster and more precise, but anyway we’ve a recommended product that can be a nice addition to the arsenal.
Recommended car charger:
BESTEK® Dual 110V AC Outlets and Dual USB 3.1A 300W Power Inverter Car DC 12V to 110V AC Inverter DC Adapter Laptop Charger Notebook Adapter DC Charger AC Adapter USB Charger for iPhone, iPad and iPod, Samsung Galaxy, Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX, HTC One, GPS and More
Sun shade (for monitor)
Q. How likely do you buy a Sun shade?
|Not at all||52||51.5%|
Some pilots complained about the sun shade included in the package. What to do then? DIY seems the answer, as we could not find any sun shade product specific for Q500.
Check this video:
Q. How likely do you buy a GPS localizer?
|Not at all||27||26.7%|
There’s definitely demand for this accessory, considering few of your answers to the question “Which accessory would you like to see available in the future?”:
- a GPS / GLONASS kit to submit a Barometer.
- GPS locator for recovery after crash… Parachute system. Longer flight times.
- Bright headlights…gps locator
Recommended GPS tracker:
“This is a good GPS tracker that works as described.” – a customer.
Camp chair with canopy
Spending long hours flying your bird in a sunny day? Why not having a comfortable chair that will even keep you in the shade!
“a great optional to have when spending afternoons in the sun!” – a user.
The first questions were to understand who responded to our survey calls.
Do you own a Yuneec Q500?
|Yes, Typhoon Q500||27||26.7%|
|Yes, Typhoon Q500+||42||41.6%|
|Yes, Typhoon Q500 4K||36||35.6%|
|I’m about to buy||4||4%|
An impressive 94% of the respondent already own a Q500, that’s the highest rate of owners we got in our surveys.
Of the different models, the Q500+ is the most popular followed not too far by the more recent Q500 4K model. A bit behind the original Q500 model, but really the numbers are quite close.
Have you already bought accessories for your Q500?
|I’m choosing now||5||5%|
Over 60% of the respondents stated to have already bought accessories for their Q500. This confirm how big is this market, but a good 30% of the owners didn’t buy anything yet.
Hopefully our guide will get them inspired!
Which accessories have you bought?
|Travel Case / Backpack||19||27.5%|
|Led / light kit||3||4.3%|
|Sun shade (for monitor)||12||17.4%|
Obviously the 2 sets of propellers included in the box ain’t enough here!
It’s surprising to see them more popular than extra batteries. In all our surveys, batteries were first.
For Yuneec Q500 owners, the top 3 accessories are:
- Extra chargers
How satisfied are you with the Q500?
|Not at all: 1||0%|
|Very much: 5||57||60%|
Standing ovation for Yuneec!! over 92% of the respondents are more than happy with their Q500. Isn’t this the ultimate prof that this is a great quadcopter?
Even better when we asked why.
Here are some of the best answers from people that gave a 5 star satisfaction:
- I love the quality of the 4k video! It’s very stable and flies very well.
- Easy to learn for a first timer … and the Q500 stays and goes were i want it to for photos and video. The copter handles very well in wind!!! and having the HQ in Ontario is a big plus for customer service !!!!!
- Stable platform… practically flies itself
- Very stable and quiet compared to Phantom
- Very steady flight, no runaways, takes good video.
- Better than any others I have owned from walkera and sk450
- Easy to fly, reliable and so far great support from my reseller in Sweden.
- Because it does exactly what its suppoes to do. Very stable, very good footage, low noise
- Super stable quad that takes great pictures and video. Everything is included in the box, making this a true RTF quad.
- Yuneec have produced a reliable product in the Q500 series. I am delighted to fly this aircraft for its stability and ease of use.
- My first proper quadcopter after spending time reviewing what is about before I parted with my money. DJI was my initial first choice but after reading about poor after sales service and problems with it I binned that Idea which left Yuneec as my choice
- I did a lot of research before I purchased and I felt yuneec was the best one out there. It suits my level of flying knowledge and still gives me chance to improve. Camera is great, flies ok, I like follow me / watch me
- Well since I own two Phantoms and two QX 350s a protocol Manta and a couple Syma X5C’s I find it it a larger presence in the air and can see it line of sight for great distance and love built in monitor so no messing with phone putting on the radio. Yuneec customer service is next to none and the thing fly’s so stable and turtle rabbit mode comes in handy and the camera on it works great.
- Everything you need to fly straight out the box + 2 battery’s and case and no problems so far.
- I am new to this activity and the q500 4k is so easy to fly (in Turtle mode I must mention !). Love it so far.
- This is the best platform I’ve had… way better than the DJI’s (I had phantom 3 pro and inspire, both selled… noisy, conectivity problems with the inspire). With the Q500, camera and gimbal are better, not so noisy, decent flight time, flies smoother than DJI’s, like the follow me/watch me options… I’d like to have way point navigation though.
Here some feedback from 4 stars respondents:
- Best bang for your buck, ready to fly, everything is included
- Very reliable. . steady as a rock. . .good video
- Because its so easy to fly, its very stable and has an excellent gps reciver. Cgo2+ should be better at fullhd. The image is not very sharp.
- Range could be better
- Two things I couldn’t stand: 1. The camera takes red-shifted footages in the sunshine and when the major color of the ground is red. Worse thing is that the proportion of red color changes in different angle making it hard to edit. 2. the drone is out of control when I yaw. The yawspin issue bothers me sometimes.
- I do not like the altitude and location restrictions, i can not operate in warehouse type building because it is in the no fly zone. I wanted some indoor flight in large building.
- Wi-fi drops out at times even after Yuneec replaced that board in the controller. Scary at times when it does this.
- Had a technical issue after brought it. Fixed and working good.
- This is my first RC anything. I like the complete ready to go kit with case, would have liked FPV flight capabilities (maybe a switch that allows you to knock the camera resolution down and get real time fpv video)
- Geo Fence not adjustable for no fly zone.
- Could be faster but overall an amazing bird!
- An instruction manual would be nice!
Here some feedback from 3 stars respondents:
- Camera is extremely low quality but drone itself is great
- The Q500 unreliability, Europe many unrecognized problems by the support.
- 2 big crash, the first flight RTH, fly-away, why? no answers, the Q500 changed warranty, second crash, while the battery was quite full and optimum flight conditions.4 engines cuts 15 meters from the ground, why? no responses to Yuneec.
- We lose the video link about 200/300 meters, it is unfortunate that it is necessary buy a kit for improvement other than Yuneec a FPVLR kit is very expensive to bring in France (at least $ 450 with shipping).
- Long wait times, poor customer support for older customers.
Here some feedback from 2 stars respondents:
- Over priced comparing to similar models
- I can not fly in my city because the height of my city
And now your turn: what’s your next accessory?
Please support QuadHangar… give us a +1 on Google, a Like on Facebook or Tweet about this article.